• Users Online: 1052
  • Home
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
Home About us Editorial board Ahead of print Current issue Search Archives Submit article Instructions Subscribe Contacts Login 
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2020  |  Volume : 5  |  Issue : 2  |  Page : 185-190

Magnetic resonance imaging assessment of temporomandibular joint disorders


1 Department of Radio-Diagnosis, Department of General Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Assiut University, Assiut, Egypt
2 Department of Maxillofacial Unit, Department of General Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Assiut University, Assiut, Egypt

Correspondence Address:
Abeer M Salah
Department of Radio-Diagnosis, Assiut University Hospitals, Faculty of Medicine, Assiut University, Assiut
Egypt
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/JCMRP.JCMRP_132_19

Rights and Permissions

Background This prospective study aimed to detect the temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disk position in patients with TMJ dysfunction and asymptomatic patients using MRI. Results Out of 40 joints clinically diagnosed as internal derangement, MRI showed anterior disk displacement without reduction in five (12.5%) joints, anterior disk displacement with reduction in 12 (30%) joints while 23 joints showed no disk displacement (57.5%). MRI results of 20 asymptomatic joints showed ADDWR in two (10%) joints and no dis displacement in the remaining 18 (90%) joints. The associations of clinical diagnosis with MRI scan findings in both symptomatic and asymptomatic groups were statistically highly significant (P < 0.001). Conclusion From our study, we could conclude that in most of asymptomatic normal TMJs, the disk will be in the normal position with few exceptions. Among displaced disks, ADDWR is the most frequent MRI diagnosis in patients with internal derangement.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed52    
    Printed0    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded29    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal